An alternative way to learn languages
- Unique language learning system
- Allows you to add your own cards
- Online learning and sharing of cards
- Not particularly useful for learning grammar
- Number of languages is limited
Anything that can help me learn another language using my Mac is most welcome and Anki takes an unusual approach to the subject.
Anki uses something known as a Spaced Repetition System (SRS) to help you remember things by intelligently scheduling flashcards with the aim that you learn the maximum possible with the minimum amount of effort. It works by tracking how well you remember each fact or word and then uses that information to optimally schedule review times.
This main window of Anki displays a question and answer and asks you to rate how well you remembered the answer. Based on your answer, Anki will then display the question again anytime over the next few weeks and the more accurate your answers, the less you'll see the card - until you've remembered it off by heart. You can also add your own cards including sounds and images and there's extra special support for Japanese characters.
Most interestingly, Anki offers a 'Study online' option, which allows you to share sets of cards with others and sync your cards on multiple computers. This obviously offers a huge amount of potential for adding new languages, although it does require a free sign-up process.
It takes some getting used to but Anki is an unusual and original way of learning that may work better for some than others.
- * Fix boost after initial hard not being applied if the card was due later in the day. * Fix for images not being displayed on Windows machines that didn't have have the visual C++ DLLs installed. * Fix negative intervals in cram mode under certain circumstances. * Don't apply a mature bonus when cramming. * Fix downloading of shared decks/plugins in networks that transparently decompress connections. * Fix broken remote image links. * Fix a DB check not correcting some problems with suspended cards. * Ensure tags are updated when templates are renamed. * Pressing cancel after File>New will now clean up the interface properly. * When no decks have syncing enabled, warn the user instead of just saying "sync finished".